Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's a Conundrum

This afternoon, Bubba asked me what a roommate was. We gave him a quick explanation, but it reminded me of something that's been running through my mind recently.

When I went off to college, I planned to share an apartment with my best friend from high school. Everyone warned me "DON'T live with your best friend. It will ruin your friendship."

And sure enough, it didn't go that well. Well, at first it did, but then things kind of went haywire.

And then later, I lived with another friend and everybody warned me: "Don't live with your friends!" And sure enough: good at first, later = haywire.

But tell me, what is the #1 advice people give you when you're looking for a mate? Marry your best friend.

But how is that supposed to work exactly? Marry your best friend. But don't live with them? 'Cause it will ruin your friendship? Gee, that doesn't bode well for marriage now does it?

I guess the only saving grace is that at least we're not fighting over boys.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm...that's one that's going to stick with me and turn over and over, I can just tell. I think maybe marriage is supposed to work like the roomie situation...only better. You marry a person you like an awful lot, someone you lurrrrrve, and then as your marriage moves forward, you strengthen your bonds and he/she becomes your best friend. Even more so. Obviously I didn't do a good job with the marriage part, but i have the roomie thing down. You find someone you like and are compatible with in terms of living situations, and then hopefully you become friends along the way. (Yeah, it doesn't quite match up, but that's what I've got right now!)

1blueshi1 said...

I love the way your mind works~what an amazing question!!! although, my first and only roommate during my first year of college, we started out okay and then went haywire, so maybe it doesn't matter if you start off friends or not, since yvette and I were complete strangers.

I will take Bubba's question over the one my daughter asked me yesterday (AT BREAKFAST): "Mommy, have you ever been drunk?"

Uhhhh.....DEFINE DRUNK.

Burgh Baby said...

Y'know, it sure would be nice if you would post again. Ahem. ;-)