Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Old McDonald Had a Farm. At the Looney Bin.

I love to sing with my kids. My mom sang a lot with us and music was always a big part of our lives. I started singing to Bubba before he was born and it was a little song I made up that brought out his first smile.

Old McDonald was a favorite of mine and Bubba's. We'd sing together and he would pick out which animal came next. Sometimes we'd sing it all the way to daycare -- and that was no mean feat. It often got quite challenging to come up with new animals and I'd usually have to take over for Bubba.

We continued the singing tradition with Punkin. I was so excited when she started learning the words to the traditional kids' songs so that we could sing them together. Most mornings she'll request Old McDonald and I'll oblige, tired of trying to find music or toddler friendly DJ banter.
Just like Bubba, I let her choose the animals.

"Old McDonald had a farm. E-I-E-I-O. And on that farm he had a....."

"DUCK!" shouts Punkin.

"....duck. E-I-E-I-O. With a quack quack here..."

"NO, MOMMY! A COW!"

"And on that farm he had a cow, E-I-E-I-O. With a moo moo here and a..."

"NO, MOMMY! Not a cow! A dog!"

Okay then. "And on that farm he had a dog. E-I-E-I-O. With a woof woof here and a woof..."

"No Mommy, not like that. Dogs don't say woof woof!"

"With a bark bark here and a bark bark there..."

"No, Mommy! I said a DUCK!"

Now I don't know if she's trying to drive.me.insane? But it's working.

"That's it, Punkin. No more Old McDonald. "

"Pleeeeease, Mommy. Give me just one more chance. Pleeeeeease."

"Okay, Punkin. One more chance. But stop changing the animals mid-verse, okay?"

"Okay, Mommy."

"Old McDonald had a farm. E-I-E-I-O. And on that farm he had a....."

"Duck!"

"...had a duck, E-I-E-I-O. With a quack quack here and a quack..."

"No, Mommy, a cat!"

Bwahahahahahahaha! Do you think Old McDonald will have room for me at the Funny Farm?

5 comments:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said...

You should teach Pumpkin the words to "They're coming to take me away, ha-ha!"

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That, my dear, is seriously funny.

Guess what?

My little one will not let me sing anymore.

Nope. Slaps at me and looks very upset when I do.

Yesterday, in the car, he squealed rather disapprovingly when I tried to sing to a song on the radio.

I never thought I sang that bad, but...

Well, you may have inspired a post for me. Hmmmmm

Anonymous said...

hysterical, totally sounds like something I would do :P

calicobebop said...

Too, too funny! I like to let Muffin insert the verse as well. Sounds like Punkin has a discovered a talent for making you crazy! Yeah Punkin!

Wineplz said...

I think the funny farm edition is still better than hearing a screeching "NO SINGIN' MOMMY!!!" from the backseat. :)